With our lives getting more and more hectic, our physical problems are increasing by the day. There are countless women who suffer from lower back pain, pain in the legs and many other issues for months and months without actually a solution. In some cases the doctors fail to diagnose the problem and in some cases they fail to deliver a permanent solution.
One such problem I faced recently is sciatica. It started during pregnancy as the weight of my baby increased, the pain got more and more intense. It was impossible for me to be pain free even for a few minutes. I thought that the pain would subside after delivery but it continued to haunt me till the time I went to the doctor. He diagnosed that I had sciatica and I need some meds for a few days to feel better. Till the time my medication continued, my pain was relieved but the day my meds were over, the pain came back to say hello.
I turned to Google for help and thankfully I was served with exactly what I needed. I realized that I need to increase my flexibility to ease my pain.. I started working on some stretches and with God’s grace there is no more pain in my lower back or my legs. Today I would like to share the same stretches with you so that you may find some relief.
Our body has many group of muscles which aid all the functions and movements we make. Starting from the lower back there are a few major muscle groups which don’t get god circulation of blood because of our routines. Since we all sit for most part of the day, blood doesn’t flow properly though all the muscle groups and hence they become rigid and cause pain.
Sciatica is a nerve which starts from the lower back and runs through our legs. This nerve gets irritated by many things but the most common factor which irritates this nerve is the rigid muscle group around it. Stretching will make the blood rush through all the tissues and tendons of your muscles. It will provide nutrition and healing to all parts of your body. Your flexibility will increase and the problem will totally vanish in a few days. You will notice the pain warding off in just one session. Let’s get started.
Piriformis is a muscle group and in most of the cases of sciatic nerve pain, Piriformis stretch relives the pain instantly. You need to keep doing this stretch everyday to increase the flexibility of this muscle and to make the blood rush through it.
- Lie down on the floor with your knees bent.
- Rest your right ankle over the left knee as shown in the figure.
- Start pulling the left thigh towards your shoulder and feel the stretch in your right hip.
- When you feel a god stretch, hold for 30-60 seconds and repeat with the other leg.
- Do this stretch twice a day for a few days to relieve the pain completely. (ALSO READ: Walking changes your body in a strange way; Know how)
- Start with a downward facing dog pose and bring your right knee to your front.
- Bend it in a way that your knee points towards your right.
- Extend your left knee behind you.
- Lower both legs and feel the stretch.
- Bend your upper body and your right knee should be towards your left shoulder for more intense stretch.
- Hold the stretch for 30-60 seconds and repeat with the other leg.
- Watch the video below to understand the stretch more properly. (ALSO READ: Back Ache Gone For Good)
Seated Hip Stretch
- Sit upright and cross your left leg over your right leg.
- Make sure your right leg is straight.
- Put your left elbow over the right knee and slowly push it towards left and move your upper body towards right.
- Repeat with both legs and do whenever the pain starts cropping up.
- Watch the video below to know more