The temperatures are soaring and the heat keeps killing our mood. Children are enjoying their summer holidays and mothers are struggling hard to keep them happy. Here’s the perfect recipe to beat the heat and to win the title of a super mom in one go. Dahi vada is a popular North-Indian dish, which can be eaten as a snack or along with meals. It is a perfect balanced combination; savoury yet sweet, and cool to ward off the summer heat.
½ cup Dal Urad (split black gram lentils)
½ cup Dal Moong (debunksed yellow lentils)
½ cup Dal Chawle (black eyed peas)
A pinch of hing (asafetida)
For tamarind sauce
5 teaspoon sugar
A pinch of salt
A pinch of red chilli powder
Yogurt 4 cups
Roasted cumin powder
½ teaspoon salt
Chopped coriander leaves
For Vada or the Dumplings
- Soak all the lentils in warm water for around 2 hours, then drain.
- Grind the soaked lentils into a thick paste. Beat the mixture for a few minutes for a smooth batter.
- Mix the hing with a little water and add it to the batter.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan for frying.
- Pour the batter into a piping bag, to drop small round balls of the mixture into the oil.
- Fry the vadas till golden brown in color overall, then remove to let them rest for 5 mins.
- In a separate bowl, add around 2 litres of water and 1 teaspoon salt. Soak the vadas in this water for 30 minutes.
For Tamarind Sauce
- Soak the tamarind in 100ml water for 30 mins.
- Mash the tamarind and strain the water into a pan.
- Bring the water to a boil, and add the sugar, salt and chilli powder.
- Let the sauce thicken slightly, and put aside.
- Whisk the yogurt to a smooth consistency and mix the salt.
- To serve, put 4 vadas in a bowl.
- Add 5 tablespoons yogurt mix over the vadas, along with 2 teaspoons of tamarind sauce.
- Garnish with roasted cumin powder, sev and chopped coriander leaves.
Enjoy the savoury with your family on a Sunday afternoon and win the hearts..